Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Day 4 - Kayaking, Tsitsikamma, and Pizza

I was awake around the same time as the sun on Day 4 in order to get some breakfast in the barn before heading out to the bay. Twelve of us went on a 7am sea kayaking trip around Plettenberg Bay for 2 hours. The water was beautiful and it was so peaceful to be out there when everything around us was quiet. It was a cloudy morning so it wasn’t too hot yet, but it certainly tiring on my arms. We got to see a baby seal, a mother seal, and 3 hammerhead sharks swimming near us. I didn’t see the sharks, but I guess they’re pretty small and have very tiny mouths. Out two guides said that during high season you can see Southern Right Whales, Great White Sharks, and lots of dolphins right in the bay.

After kayaking 8 of us left the bay, stopped at Antler’s to pick up 4 more people, and headed to the Tsitsikamma Forest to do a canopy tour. We had two great tour guides who helped us zipline from platform to platform high up in the trees of the forest. There were 10 ziplines in all and they varied in height, length, and speed. I thought it was really cool how the platforms are made to never cause any damage to the trees. Check out the picture below to see how they completely rely on tension because it is forbidden to put even one nail into the trees.

After having lunch in Tsitsikamma we went back to the lodge and I took a nap. When I woke up we all left to have dinner at a pizza place on the beach. The pizzas were great, I had 10 slices, and the view from the restaurant was beautiful. I was pretty tired by the time we got home so I just laid in bed and hung out with some friends until I fell asleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment