Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Day 5 - Bungee Jumping, Island Vibe, and St. Paddy's Day


After packing up and having breakfast in the barn we said our goodbyes to Antler’s Lodge and hit the road again en route to Bloukran’s Bridge. Bloukran’s is the highest commercial bungee jump in the world and 29 of us we making the leap today. I wasn’t really nervous until we arrived, got our harnesses on, and had our weight written on our hand. Hestea told us that in past years they jumped in order of weight, which would have put me first. I really didn’t want to jump first. Luckily once we got out to the platform they called my friend Julie’s name first and I was able to relax. After watching her jump and seeing the smile on her face when she got back to the platform I was no longer nervous, just really excited. The guys that worked there were super friendly and they had music playing the whole time to pump us up. When it was finally my turn to go I got my ankles strapped in, then I was carried to the edge of the platform where the two guys holding me immediately starting counting down from 5. There was no time to think twice or be nervous, so I dove off and absolutely loved every second of it. The feeling of free falling in indescribable, but so amazing. I would encourage anyone who gets the chance to jump to do it, you won’t regret it!

When our group was done jumping we got lunch in the restaurant that overlooked the bridge and watched some of our other friends bungee. After everyone had gone we got back in our vans and drove to Jeffrey’s Bay. Once again, Hestea amazed us with her ability to find the coolest places to stay. Island Vibe Backpackers was situated right above the beach overlooking the Indian Ocean. There was a lounge, a small restaurant, a bar, dorm style bedrooms, and a beach house. After getting a quick tour of grounds we were told that the beach house belonged to us for the next two nights (see picture below). Me, Adrienne, and Vanessa picked a room with a sliding glass door that opened up to the beach (our view is pictured below). It was an incredible spot. Once everyone was situated a bunch of us hopped in the vans and drove a half mile down the road to the Billabong Factory Store. It was a huge place with tons of clothes for real cheap. I wasn’t planning on getting anything but I couldn’t resist, I walked away with 3 shirts for under $20. After walking home we had a soccer game on the beach until dinnertime. Dinner was Thai chicken curry and it was so delicious I could have had at least four plates if there has been enough to go around. We spent the rest of the night celebrating St. Patrick’s Day and talking about how awesome our bungee jumping experience was.

2 comments:

  1. What a cool stay. I wish I could have made that jump too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,
    This is so fantastic! I am glad you took the opportunity and went for it. Experience all that is offered!!!!
    Keep blogging. I feel I am standing right next to you when you pen your adventures.
    Love you, miss you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete