Friday, March 12, 2010

SPRING BREAK IS HERE!

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to write a quick update before I leave for our big spring break adventure!

This past Monday at Lynedoch we taught our learners all about the ocean. We went over where they are in the world, the different layers, the ways in which they’re affected by global warming, and some different animals that live there. In the afternoon we should them a bunch of clips from the Ocean Deep segment of Planet Earth. They got to see underwater volcanoes, crazy looking bioluminescent creatures, dolphins, turtles, blue whales, and few other interesting things. I think they enjoyed the clips because they’d never been exposed to some of this information before. They even chose to stay inside and watch more animal videos instead of going outside for recess. Though this may have also been because of the heat. Rumor has it that the thermometer hit 113 on Monday. It was brutally hot and everyone at Lynedoch had sweat dripping from them. Our yoga instructor, Bryce, agreed with us that it was too hot for a workout so we took an early train home. It was nice to get home earlier than normal, but I’m beginning to feel like our time at Lynedoch is slipping away. Because of our break and then the public school break we’re not with our kids for the next 4 weeks, and then we only have 3 weeks of lessons left after that. It’s scary to think about how fast the time is flying by.

In other news, I had an Afrikaans test this week and I think I did pretty well on it. I also finally bought the South African World Cup soccer jersey that I’ve been eyeing since week one. I think I forgot to mention in my last post that a bunch of us went to see the Princess and the Frog at our local movie theater. I thought it was really good, and it was nice to only pay $3 for a movie ticket. This past Wednesday was the first time it really rained in the 7 weeks that I’ve been here. It was such a welcomed break from the heat and it made running actually enjoyable for the first time in a while.

Ok I need to start packing. It’s almost midnight at we’re leaving at 4:45am. It’s a 7 hour drive to our first stop where we will be trekking through caves and riding ostriches! We’re spending the first 6 days traveling up the Garden Route and then the next 4 hanging around Addo Elephant Park and the surrounding area. I’ll be sure to update you on my adventures when I return!

Tot siens!

No comments:

Post a Comment